Pound Cake Made Easy – Chocolate, Lemon, or Classic…And Tons of Variations In Between
1 Yellow, Chocolate, or Lemon Cake mix
1 pkg instant vanilla, chocolate, or lemon instant pudding mix (whichever goes with the cake mix flavor you choose)
1 cup milk
1 stick butter softened
4 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your bundt pan. Dump all your ingredients in a bowl, mix on low-speed for 2 minutes, scrape bowl, mix at medium-speed for 2 minutes. (You have to mix for this long, on these speeds, or the cakes seem to fall…atleast for me) Pour your batter into the greased pan and bake for 50 -55 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean and cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Let cake cool in pan for 10 – 15 minutes before inverting pan to remove cake, then cool completely on wire rack before icing.
If the top of your cake looks too brown spray a sheet of aluminum foil with non-stick spray and lay loosely over the top for the last 15 -20 minutes of baking.
Variation ~ Uses a chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and once you grease your pan coat it with cocoa powder instead of flour….and of course top with a chocolate glaze…because you can never have too much chocolate!! This pic is before the icing
Another Quick Tip – If you don’t have milk try one of these substitutes:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of sour cream + 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 cup of your favorite coffee creamer (I use sugar free vanilla)
More fun twists on your traditional pound cake:
- White Chocolate Pound Cake – Use a yellow cake mix, white chocolate pudding, 1 cup of milk , 4 eggs, and 1 stick of butter (Optional – stir in a cup of white chocolate chips into your batter). Follow the directions above for baking and top with a white chocolate icing.
- Coconut Cake – Yellow cake mix, coconut pudding, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 tsp. coconut extract, 4 eggs, 1 stick of butter. Then you’ll mix and bake as directed above. Frost then garnish with toasted coconut flakes.
- Strawberry Pound Cake – Strawberry cake mix, strawberry pudding, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, 4 eggs, 1 stick of butter. Bake as directed above, then top with chocolate frosting…think chocolate covered strawberries!
See where I’m going with this? The possibilities are endless. Just use the basic recipe formula above*, be sure to mix for the full 2 minutes at low speed and 2 then minutes at medium, grease and flour your pan, bake until golden, then cool 10 minutes before :inverting pan, and you’ll be set!
Don’t have a bundt pan? No worries, just split you batter between 2 loaf pans and bake for 45-55 minutes. Don’t have bundt pan or loaf pans? Pour you batter into whatever pan you have and watch for doneness (a toothpick to come out clean and the cake springs bake when lightly touched). Here’s a quick bakin guide:
- 10 inch round pan – Bake for 35 – 45 minutes
- 13×9 pan – Bake 25 – 35 minutes
- 2 -8 in. pans – Bake 25 – 35 minutes
But the cake truly has the best texture when baked in the bundt pan or the loaf pans.
~~I’m convinced pound cake is not only a dessert but a breakfast food too…Hey, it’s gotta be better for you than doughnuts :0)