Hey all you DFW autism / special needs moms, all DFW Studio Movie Grills are doing a FREE Special Needs Movie Showing of Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days on August 11, 2012 at 11AM. We’ve been to many of the SMG Special Needs Movie Shows in the past and they’ve been great. You don’t have to worry if your kids have a hard time sitting still or are kind of loud, it’s no big deal which makes for a much more enjoyable experience for the kids #SharingTheSavings
My Casa – 10 Words
This weeks Monday Listicles has us describing our home in 10 words…I may have to
cheat rule bend a little….how about 10 words or phrases that describe my house:::
- Filled with family
- Full of love
- A disaster area
- Loud!! – I’m pretty convinced this is the loudest house in America
- The place where I get to live with and spend my time with my best friend – AKA the hubs
- Where I lay my head at night
- Full of dog hair – no matter how hard I try to keep it up I’m always covered in it
- The house with the best flower bed on the block…not that I’m proud or anything ;P
- Sometimes kind of smelly…hey don’t judge…monsters in diapers, little boys in general, a giant cowdog, and the heat of summer can kind of bring a funktastic smell with it
- Never a dull moment…it’s a house full of boys so I’m sure you can only imagine….I have to say I think we’re way more entertaining than most of the reality shows out there…you here TV producers who I’m sure are blog stalking me ;P
- MINE…AND I WOULDN’T TRADE ANY OF IT FOR THE WORLD!!!….except maybe the funktastic summer smells…Thank God for Fabreze lol
This week’s Writer’s Workshop just happened to ask about the last time you stayed in a hotel…The hubby and I JUST got back from a trip to visit family yesterday, and while we were away we stayed in a hotel…I can’t tell you much about the hotel…it was clean, relativly cheap, and near where we wanted to be, so instead I’m sharing my vacay in pics with you…but hey I was staying in a hotel while these pics were taken so it’s counts right…sort of at least
There’s a Trending Topic floating around in the online world 30 Ways To Make A Girl Smile, but I think 30 Ways To Make A Mom Smile would be way more amusing…so here we go, in no particular order:
- Your kids actually eating what you’ve made for dinner
- Your kids not complaining, while they are eating, about what you’ve made for dinner
- Everyone in the house remembering where the hamper is
- ….and how to use it
- Getting to sleep in, even just 15 minutes
- Your spouse making kiddo breakfast
- Your spouse making any kiddo meal
- ….and cleaning up the dishes after
- The kids throwing their trash in the trash can instead of hiding it under/in the couch
- Curling up on the couch watching Saturday morning cartoons or movies with the kiddos
- Little boys remembering to flush
- Little boys remembering to put the lid down BEFORE flushing
- Caffeine IV’s
- Mommy Juice – Yes it’s real…it’s that special juice mommies drink at the end of a long day to avoid ripping someone’s head off during evening shenanagins
- Someone inventing a washer/dryer combo, no more mildewey smelling stuff because I forget to switch the laundry for a days
- A laundry fairy *Calling the Laundry Fairy…can you hear me???*
- Good notes from the teacher saying how spectacularly awesome your kids are doing
- A full night’s sleep
- Homemade gifts from the children
- Family Vacations
- Free Family Vacations – Are you listening Disney & SeaWorld?? If you want to spend a special needs family of 5 to your park, all expenses paid, I’d be HAPPY to volunteer my family for the job ;p
- Grocery shopping when the store is nearly empty
- A kid free dinner out every now and then
- People learning not to stare….loud stimmy kids are NOT the same as loud unbehaved kids
- Diamonds, flowers, chocolates…really anything that sparkles, smells delish, or tastes sugary good
- Someone in the house taking a second to say ‘Hey we really do appreciate all you do’, you’d be amazed at how far a few simple words can go to make ones day
- The kids waking up the first time you wake them in the morning….or even the second….but by the fifth time it starts to get a little ridiculous lol
- A winning lottery ticket….okay this one isn’t just for moms but it’s be nice either way!
- Someone else taking the trash out…before the trash man runs
- Plastic Surgery – I know some of you may disagree but I say there’s nothing wrong with a little nip and tuck every now and then…kids can do a number on your body…oh can I add *FREE* to this one too? ;p
What’s on your list?
Wait…You mean you want more?? How about a few pics to make a mom smile
Proper ways NOT to handle a baby
And finally an old ad from a magazine to make us feel just that much about our parenting….
Disclaimer****All of these pics were pics I ran across on various sites like FB and across the web. None were taken by me, but I’ve had them so long I can’t be positive where they all originally came from.*****
Therapy is EXPENSIVE! Hell, kids are EXPENSIVE, but throw in therapy, durable medical equipment, respite (if you choose to use it), afterschool care….the list could go on and on…..and as many of you know a lot of insurance companies don’t cover things like therapy for autism. I guess they don’t realize, or maybe just don’t care, that 1:91 kids will be 1:91 adults sooner than any of us are ready for, but that’s a rant for another day….In an effort to help cover the costs some great organizations have set up grants to help out special needs families. This is a list of national programs available, but don’t forget to check out local charities and foundations too, they can offer a lot of help.
I’m sure there are more organizations out there, these are a few I’ve either had a good experience with or heard good things about from other families. I am in no way affiliated with / or being compensated by any of the organizations listed below, in fact most of them don’t even know me, or that this blog exist. Also, I encourage you to do your research before working with any organization, sadly there are companies out there who will take advantage of those in need…whatever the need may be.
The Brett Woodhall Foundation – they mainly provide funds for ABA, there is a spot on the site that talks about Grants and Resources available to families http://www.woodallkids.org/contact.html
Variety – offers a lot of assistance to special needs families, they helped us receive funding for ABA therapy for our sons. http://www.usvariety.org/programs.html In our area they also do *FREE*special needs showings for every kids movie that comes out the Saturday after the movie is released. Check out your local Variety to see if they offer special needs movie showings too!
United Health Care provides grants to families with private insurance (you do not have to be with UHC insurance) http://www.uhccf.org/apply_applicant.html
There are a long waiting lists, but if you have Medicaid there are Medicaid waiver programs, such as CLASS and HBCS, that provide funding. They vary by state but here is a link to a national list that will let you search for state and the waivers available to you http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-Topics/Waivers/Waivers.html
The Shriners / Masonic Lodge is also a great resource for funding, however grants are handled by state, not nationally. After a simple application I found online, and a letter from the my sons doctor they covered almost 6 months of 1:1 ABA therapy for my sons (I cannot guarantee you would get the same results we did, but they are definitely an organization worth looking into)
And finally a list of random grant available to families of children with autism—Some of these I am unfamiliar with but it can’t hurt to look into
Still need funding? Not finding what you need to help meet your child’s needs?
Try http://www.giveforward.com/ Give Forward is an amazing website where you create a charity for whatever you need to raise money for. This is how we raised the funds for our childrens’ iPads, thanks to the generosity of friends, family, loved ones, and the kindness of strangers. (note – they do take a small percentage of your total so be sure to factor that in when setting your total fundraising goal)
Have any grant programs or charities I missed? Leave your favorite, and a link or contact info, in the comments sections – If it is a group that is only to the area/state you are in please not that in the comment.
Isn’t this too cute?? I thought so too…but yeah I’m not that mom, in fact most days I’m lucky to get everyone out the door on time,with matching shoes and socks, and hair and teeth brushed…So here’s my lunches made easy easier / solution to massive amounts of wasted snack foods in house….
Spills, Spills, and More Spills === Lots of wasted food
Children Who Dump Out Everything === Lots of wasted food
Snackaholic Little People === Lots of wasted food
Wasted food makes me sick for 2 reasons –
- Money Doesn’t grow on trees
- There are so many hungry people out there, I hate throwing a whole bag of food away
Then there’s the mess factor, as if there’s not enough to clean up just having 3 monsters – dumped out, crumbled up food is not a mess I care to add to my normal mom duties. Add in that when I buy groceries they are meant to last a whole a week, for lunches at school, snacks, etc. Top that off with the fact that mornings are chaotic around here, and I was spending an extra 30 minutes bagging up breakfasts, lunches, and snacks x 4.
So I had a plan…
Confession – I actually saw this on an eposide of Wife Swap years ago, laughed at it because it seemed like a time consuming waste, then decided to try it out and it’s working wonders….but getting back on track…
I bought a weeks’ worth of cereals, snacks, and breakfast goodies, bagged them into individual serving sizes, boxed them up, and stashed the boxes in a top secret hiding place…Okay the top shelf of the pantry buried behind my warehouse club supply of paper towels….Suprisingly enough it didn’t take nearly long as I expected, in fact since I wasn’t still half asleep, like in the mornings, it took no time at all.
Setting up to start
Pre-Bagged Portion Controlled Munchies
So far I’ve cut the hecticness down in the mornings for myself, and the kids can’t find the sancks so they don’t get wasted. Pretty Genius huh?
Randomly odd things I’ve said, thought, and a few shenanigans thrown in for added laughability.
‘I don’t pee on your paws, why must you pee on my shoes’
‘Yes, you can use the computer…BUT not while eating peanut butter by the finger-full…want a spoon?’ Child yells ‘No Way!’ and is thoroughly pissed…How dare I say peanut butter is only allowed at the computer when on a spoon or sandwich!?
‘You really couldn’t tell your dog food bowl from the trash?’
…and a few hours later…
‘Your stomach hurts? That is what you get for eating all the garbage…dumb dog!’
‘I’m convinced your kids are trying to kill me’ – While suffering mom abuse playing UFC with the boys
‘I’m convinced your kids are trying to kill me’ – This is actually a common complaint of mine…my boys are some SERIOUS shenanaginizers…that’s all I’m saying ;p
~ On a side note, notice that when the kids are up to no good they are always their dad’s kids
‘Put your pants on’
…and an hour or so later…
‘Seriously, if you must stand in the window you really must put pants on!!’
Apparently I am full of dumb rules… why shouldn’t one child who shall remain nameless, not be allowed to pour milk in their brothers’ shoe?
I was watching Beauty and the Beast and I have to ask, am I the only one grossed out by the fact she loves a beast …she didn’t know he was a man… Beast – Bestiality- Barf
Reminders are important…’I know we cut our brownies with a (butter) knife, but we DO NOT run and swing the (butter) knife around like a wild man, EVER’
‘Whoever finds the poo, changes the poo’—I may or may not have been trying to avoid diaper duty
While making brownies with the monsters:
Me – ‘Don’t put your fingers in the brownie batter’
Child- Puts face over bowl and licks batter straight from bowl…because I said no fingers and this way he wasn’t using fingers….
Me- ‘If you must eat batter, get a spoon’
Child – Gets giant spatula, loads it with a massive amount of batter, attempts to eat it
Me- Now gagging at the sight
Child -Spitting out brownie batter
Moral of the story–All things are good in moderation
A friend forwarded this to me, and maybe you’ve seen it, but it was too cute not to share:
Shirley & Marcy
A mother was concerned about her kindergarten son walking to school.
He didn’t want his mother to walk with him.
She wanted to give him the feeling that he had some independence but yet know that he was safe.
So she had an idea of how to handle it.
She asked a neighbor if she would please follow him to school in the mornings, staying at a distance,
So he probably wouldn’t notice her.
She said that since she was up early with her toddler anyway, it would be a good way for them to get some exercise as well, so she agreed.
The next school day, the neighbor and her little girl set out following behind Timmy as he walked to school with another neighbor girl he knew.
She did this for the whole week.
As the two walked and chatted, kicking stones and twigs,
Timmy ‘s little friend noticed the same lady was following them as she seemed to do every day all week.
Finally she said to Timmy ,
‘Have you noticed that lady following us to school all week? Do you know her?’
Timmy nonchalantly replied, ‘Yeah, I know who she is.’
The little girl said, ‘Well, who is she?’
‘That’s just Shirley Goodnest ,’ Timmy replied, ‘and her daughter Marcy .’
‘ Shirley Goodnest ? Who is she and why is she following us?
‘Well,’ Timmy explained, ‘every night my Mum makes me say the 23rd Psalm with my prayers, ‘cuz she worries about me so much.
And in the Psalm, it says, ‘ Shirley Goodnest (surely goodness ) and Marcy (mercy) shall follow me all the days of my life’, so I guess I’ll just have to get used to it!’
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you; the Lord lift His countenance upon you, and give you peace.
May Shirley Goodnest and Marcy be with you today and always
I know you smiled!
Please pray that Shirley Goodnest & Marcy go with everyone you love
Are your turkey’d out?? I know I am…but here are a few ideas to switch things up so your leftovers don’t taste so leftover anymore….Hope you enjoy
-Turkey Sandwiches –This one’s a given I know, but it’s a classic Thanksgiving Leftover Meal. Layer stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce, and serve on a leftover roll or sliced bread.
-Turkey Noodle Soup – There are so many ways to make soup…This is the quickest recipe I have, but if you have a recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup you love just replace the chicken with turkey.
-Chop your carrots and celery and thrown into a pot of chicken or turkey broth
-Add salt, pepper, and seasonings (I use poultry seasoning, garlic and onion powder, and dill)
-Boil until almost tender (about 20 minutes)
-Throw your egg noodles in and boil for another 8-10 minutes
-Stir in leftover turkey and simmer until ready to eat
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 can water
- 1 can Rotel (or diced tomatoes if you don’t like spicy)
- 1/2 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 cups of leftover chopped turkey
Mix all ingredients (juices included) in a medium pan over medium low heat and let simmer for about 20 min. *Idea* Serve over rice or with sprinkle cheese and sour cream.
-Turkey Taco Omelets
This one is one of my favorites….You take the leftover Turkey Taco Soup you’ve already made and strain a few spoonful’s of it…use it as an omelet filling and top with a slice of cheese
-Almost Sheppard’s Pie
Mix the leftover gravy with your leftover veggies and stir in a little bit of leftover turkey meat (It should be kind of runny). Top with a layer of leftover mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, and serve with biscuits or leftover rolls.
-Turkey Pot Pie
Line a pan with a pie crust (optional)
Mix equal parts of sour cream and cream of chicken soup. (When making a whole pie pan I use 8 oz of each, to just make for the hubby and I, I bake in a smaller pan and only use 4 oz of each)
Stir in a can or 2 of mixed veggies (or a bag of **Cooked** frozen veggies), salt, pepper, seasonings, and leftover turkey
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes
The last 15 minutes of bake time, throw a pan of biscuits in the oven to cook
When the timer goes off place the biscuits on top of your pie and serve
(I’ve tried baking the biscuits on top of the pot pie but I always end up with soggy biscuit bottoms + this way the kids get biscuits too since they don’t like pot pies)
-Turkey ‘Fake’ Nachos
I make my nachos with red nacho cheese Dorito’s (hence the ‘Fake Nachos’) but tortilla chips work great too. Heat your oven to 350, layer chips on a baking sheet and top with a little sprinkle cheese. Top that with chopped up turkey and whatever nacho toppings you enjoy (or more drained Turkey Taco Soup), sprinkle with another layer of cheese and bake until the cheese is melty, about 10 minutes.
-Grilled Cheese and Ramens
Make Turkey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and serve with Ramen noodles or a bowl of Turkey Noodle Soup
Take your favorite chicken salad recipe and replace the chicken with turkey…Here’s my recipe…
-2-3 cooked potatoes – cut into 1-2 inch cubes (they need to still be HOT)
-½ can of drained peas
-2 cups chopped, leftover turkey
-Chopped dill pickles
-3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
-Mayo (If you use miracle whip leave out the lime juice)
-Dijon Mustard – just a squirt
-Salt, pepper, and the juice from ½ a lime
-Optional – Chopped black olives and/or chopped jalapenos
Mix it all together, chill for a couple of hours, and enjoy
- Turkey Club Quesadillas
Heat pan over medium heat, and butter two flour tortillas. Place one tortilla (buttered side down) in your skillet and sprinkle with a thin layer of cheese, leftover turkey, and crumbled bacon. Top with a little more sprinkle cheese and the remaining tortilla. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown, and serve with ranch dressing for dipping.
* Another option – use the leftover drained Turkey Taco Soup and cheese as your quesadilla fillers, then serve with sour cream and salsa instead of ranch
Hope you guys enjoy my recipes…let me know what your favorite is
I got such a kick out of doing my You Might Be An Autism Parent If post that I decided to another one because … #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf this hashtag, and all the blog posts it has inspired, has given you more amusement over the past week than you can express…So here’s Part 2 of my #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf list….
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf Every time the school calls you freak out because you think they’ve lost your child
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf your child has no use for toys
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you dread going out because it’s more of a hassle than staying in
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you go anyways because you know the importance of teaching your child how to behave in public
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf your kids would rather watch documentaries than cartoons
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf before you do anything you have to give a 5 minute warning to help ease into the transition, and you say ‘Good Bye’ to everyone and everything before leaving anywhere
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you worry someone is making a situation uncomfortable for your child but they can’t tell you because they don’t have the words
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you’ve been licked by a child in past few minutes
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you secretly worry about long term care more than you’d ever care to admit
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you know that if you could get them to understand the rules, and follow them, your kids could be UFC champs…Nothing like having your son put you in a Sleeper Hold
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you have convinced yourself that sleep is overrated
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you’ve (or in this case my husband) been given a black eye…not due to a melt down…but given to you by a bored, curious, sleepless child with a really big dog bowl
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you have come to truly understand If you don’t live it, you don’t know it, so don’t judge one for it
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you are a firm believer in the power of melatonin
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you want to tell people who complain their kids to talk too much to just be thankful their kids have words
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you gave up on time out for the kids because they don’t mind sitting by themselves, and instead have resorted to putting the toy in time out
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you taught your kids to brush their teeth by giving them candies for a job well done (I know it seems backwards, but if candy is the reinforcer that works candy is what we use….even if it seems a little counterproductive in the short term)
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you know that any stick, baton, ribbon, bat, necklace, twig, etc. can be a fun stimmy object…which simultaneously and unintentionally doubles as a weapon
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you wonder what people walking by your house must think because you know your kids loudness can be heard all the way to the street
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you’ve considered buying a Diaper Genie…again…because the older they get (the kids not the diapers) the smeller the house gets
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you’ve caught your kids putting your toothbrush in the toilet…not because they were mad at you, but because for some reason it honestly seemed like a good idea
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you’ve walked into a room only to find your child covered head to toe in pancake syrup, chocolate syrup, soap, mud, butter, Jello, lotion, or something similar
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you believe in laughing so you don’t cry
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf you’ve scrubbed a bottle of syrup out of your child’s mattress…and a bottle of chocolate syrup…and not on the same day that they covered themselves head to toe in it
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf your kids climb better than the monkeys in the zoo
- #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf despite it all you realize kids are kids no matter what challenges life throws their way
I could make this list go on and on for ages….and I might actually make a Part 3, but until then I hope you’ve enjoyed my list What’s on yours?